Our Noble Pursuits

Living the good life. And writing about it.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Things I'm Loving Right Now (Part 2)

I'm been making mental lists again.  Lists of things that I really like about my life right now.  I hate to sound like a broken record or a Pollyanna, but we've really been blessed up in this Noble house and I'm sort of rolling around in that right now.  So I thought maybe a repeat performance of Things I'm Loving Right Now might just be in order...

Story Time with Annie
When Annie was new, reading books was sort of lost on her.  When we instituted a bedtime routine around here I originally wanted a bedtime story to be a part of it.  I didn't really take into account the fact that newborns aren't so much in to bedtime stories.  So we set the idea aside for a while.  And now, although she still doesn't have the attention span for, say, War and Peace, we can sometimes get through a few pages of Brown Bear, Brown Bear before she rips the book out of our hands and inadvertently (or not...) smacks us with it.
Reading with Daddy.

Morning Talks with My Mom
As any of you who know me very well probably already know, my mom and I are very close.  Like talk at least once a day kind of close.  It used to be that, in the old, pre-baby days, that I would talk to my mom every day on my way home from work.  Sort of a check in and see how life is treating us sort of phone call...that sometimes turned into her counseling me about something or the two of us solving the world's problems in nine minutes.  After Annie came along, that time frame just didn't work so well.  So now we have developed the habit of a morning conversation each day after I drop Annie off at daycare and while I drive to work by way of the McDonald's drive-thru for the best Diet Coke on God's green earth.  That provides sufficient time for our check in chats.  I miss these talks on the rare occasions that we can't have them.  And I think my mom likes the daily updates on her granddaughter's latest display of cuteness and superior intelligence.

David and His Goals
If there is one thing I know about this husband of mine it is that he is motivated by a goal.  And his latest goal involves a diet transformation - like not just a lose some weight sort of thing, but a lifestyle change.  Together, we decided a few weeks ago to become "Paleo" around here - a diet that involves lots of protein, few carbs, and little to no processed foods.  I failed miserably.  Repeatedly.  But he has embraced it like he was made for it.  And I am so proud to see him get determined, get motivated, get focused, and really show a goal who is boss.  One time when he got this way he ended up here, at the Columbus Marathon...

Columbus Marathon, October 2009
...so who knows where this might take us (or at least, him, since I'm sort of a Paleo Drop Out).

Getting Back in Running Shape
While the above picture sort of makes it look like I ran the marathon with David, I really only ran half of it...and then the last 0.2 miles with him as support.  I used to kind of be a runner.  Or at least I was starting to think of myself that way.  And I am finally coming back around to that.  I have made a commitment to myself to run 3-4 days each week, with my sights set on another half-marathon in October.  I really want Annie to see her parents being active, and being active is important to me personally.  So here's to lacing up those running shoes at 5:30 a.m. and hitting the pavement!

Watching Annie's Personality Take Shape
Okay, so here's the thing...our kid is funny.  Like laugh out loud funny.  And lately she has started to show us that she knows we think she's funny.  She makes funny faces and does things she knows will make us laugh.  And I love it!  More and more, we get glimpses of what she's going to be like as she grows, and it is so fun to watch her develop her own sense of humor, likes and dislikes, and personality traits.  It really does keep getting better and better.

I think this is her "uh oh" face - her new favorite word.  Who wouldn't love this baby?
And just for fun, here are a few more pictures of what Annie's been up to these days.  Have a great week!


Bathing beauty.  Oh, except for the fact that she didn't understand why she shouldn't crawl out of the pool.

This kid loves that dinosaur push toy.  Seriously.  She makes a bee line for it when she comes in the door.

Post-peek-a-boo hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment