Our Noble Pursuits

Living the good life. And writing about it.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

19 Months!

I used to keep a list on my phone of the new things Annie did each month.  That way, when it came time for me to put together this monthly post, I would have everything right there, already jotted down, and my memory wouldn't have to do much work.  Somewhere along the way I stopped keeping those lists.  I think it was because her big physical accomplishments - rolling over, crawling, walking, climbing, etc. - were for the most part behind her and the changes I saw each month were more subtle.  And at some point I realized that if I truly kept track of every new thing she did each month - each new word, each new mannerism, each new display of independence and individuality - I would be taking notes all the time.  Because things, they change quickly around these parts.

I say all that to say that these monthly posts have likely gotten to be a little bit more general than they used to be.  Of that much I am aware.  But I hope they remain enjoyable for you to read, because I still very much like writing them.  Even if I can't remember what has happened in 30 or so days' time.

Annie and her good buddy Elmo, preparing for nap time.
In her 19th month, Annie continued to grow her vocabulary. She started using small two-word sentences, as well as expanded her bank of words she regularly uses. As I mentioned in my last post, "Annie do!" is a new favorite, but phrases like "Mommy help" are also working their way into the rotation.  She also likes to go around the room and point out the same feature on all of us - "Annie socks," "Mommy socks," and "Daddy socks" are identified regularly, as are our shoes, coats, eyes, noses, and various other things.  She likes to know where our pets are at all times and, if she looks around and can't find one of the cats she plaintively asks, "Dup-pee?" (for Sophie).  She also likes to mimic what we say.  These days, when I ask her in that way that parents have a tendancy to do, "Can you say fill in the blank?"  she actually can do it and usually does.

We have also ventured into the wonderful world of the potty over the last couple of weeks.  As I mentioned in my 18 month post, our pediatrician suggested that now was a good time to start introducing the concept of potty training, so we have purchased a little potty seat and sit Annie on it a couple of times each day.  So far, we have only had one triumph in that area, but Annie is certainly enjoying the practice.  And she has the concepts of toilet paper and flushing down pat.  I feel I should clarify that we are in no rush whatsoever in this regard, we are just sort of letting Annie get the lay of the land so she will be good and ready in the next six months to a year to try out diaper-free living.
Still rocking the sweet cheeks!
Around here, baby dolls have just recently become a favorite of Annie's.  She wraps her "bay-beez" and Elmo up in blankets and throws them - and I do mean throw, not place gently (her mothering is still a work in progress) - in her shopping cart.  She also loves books.  And, although you have to be a speed reader most of the time to actually read a full page before she turns to the next one, it's great to see her growing appreciation of something that I have always enjoyed so much - reading.  And, true to her heritage, this girl also loves songs.  I will say a word (duck, star, happy, train) and this will immediately prompt her to start doing hand motions to some song or another.  The only problem is that frequently I don't know the song just based on her toddler version of the motions, so I have resorted to getting a weekly tutorial from her teacher as to what they are singing these days so I can keep up with Annie and avoid the dreaded "Mom, are you crazy?  I'm trying to sing something here and you aren't playing along" look.

The bigger she gets, the more I treasure the moments when Annie places her head on my shoulder or reaches for my hand.  She is a busy girl and this momma would like to slow down time some moments to really savor the sweet things she does and says.  When she pats the chair next to her for either me or David to sit down, we do our best to accomodate because we know it's a privilege to share these days, months, and years with her.  And also because we sort of have a soft spot for the smile it puts on her face when we do as she requests.
Saying "cheese!" (quite literally)
Getting "Annie's wa-wa" at school - a daily ritual.

So there's our little Month 19 update - and I think I may have even managed to make it pretty detailed, despite my lack of a list.  I'm going to try to pay more attention to this little blog this month, and maybe even diversify a little by talking about a couple of things that are only tangentially related to Annie.  So check back in and see if I make good on that promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment